The other day, I was returning from a trip and decided to take a new route home. Somewhere along the way, I stopped paying attention and missed the connection I needed. I called for help, figured out what I needed to do, and set off again. But I grew impatient. I pulled up the map on my phone and saw what looked like a shortcut, so I took it.
To my disappointment, I found myself in a very unfamiliar area. The surroundings made me uncomfortable. I kept asking myself, Why didn’t I pay attention? Why did I have to take a shortcut? But I stayed calm, used my head, and kept trying to find my way. One road didn’t lead to the highway I needed. Another was closed off entirely. I sat at a traffic light, anxious for it to turn green, and locked my doors. Bars and so-called “gentlemen’s clubs” surrounded me.
I didn’t panic. I used common sense and eventually found a familiar road. I made it home safely, tired, a little shaken, and thirty minutes later than planned. But I got there.
I used three things:
- A call home
- A map
- My heart and brain
Later that night, as I knelt in prayer, that experience came back to me. I asked my Heavenly Father for direction in this season of my life. I realized I’ve been traveling a road I’ve never been on before. Not everything along the way feels secure or comfortable. But what a blessing it was to feel peace and clarity settle into my heart. I knew my Father was guiding me safely back to Him, if I would just listen and obey.
Sometimes, just like that night, I think I’ve found a shortcut or a better way. But those shortcuts often lead to places I don’t want to be.
To make it home spiritually, I need:
- To listen to my Heavenly Father
- To use the scriptures and the counsel of living prophets as my map
- To trust the Spirit within me
Even when the path is unfamiliar and the night feels long, I know the way home is lit by faith, mapped by scripture, and guided by the Spirit. And with every step, I draw closer to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment