Sunday, October 15, 2006

The Sound That Still Calls Me Home

As a child, our family was blessed to live on a street filled with friends we played with during the summers and after school. We spent so much time outside, running up and down the street, playing in our front yard, and wandering to our friends’ houses. We were busy having fun, but we always knew when it was time to come home.

My dad had a whistle. Sometimes it was faint, depending on where we were, but when we heard that distinct sound, we came running. It was the same call for all of us, and even the neighbors recognized it. Wherever we were, we dropped everything and headed home. We never minded. We knew what that sound meant. It was our father gathering his children.

As I think about that memory now, I find myself thinking about my Heavenly Father too. I have been learning that He also calls me in the middle of my everyday life. His voice is not always loud. Sometimes it is quiet enough that I have to stop what I am doing and pay attention. It might come as a gentle feeling, a thought to pray, a reminder to reach out to someone, or a nudge to soften my heart.

I have even tried to learn how to do my dad’s whistle. It is not easy, and even when I manage it, I know it will never sound the same. His call belonged to him. But trying to imitate it reminds me how personal and familiar his voice was to us, and it helps me notice how God’s voice has its own familiar way of finding me too.

I am learning that His calls are not only for the hard moments. Just like my dad’s whistle, they come when life is ordinary and full. They come when I am simply moving through my day.

A small prayer. A scripture that settles into my heart. A moment of gratitude. A prompting I choose to follow. A decision to trust Him even when I do not understand.

These have become little steps toward home for me.

And just as I never questioned my father’s whistle, I hope I can become more willing to recognize and respond to the quiet ways my Heavenly Father calls me. I do not believe His call is ever meant to create fear. It feels like love, a reminder of who I am, an invitation to come home.




No comments:

Post a Comment